Saturday, April 01, 2006

From Palm To Pocket PC

After using the Palm m515 for nearly a year, it finally decided to give up on me one fine day. The battery is flat despite charging it for more than 16 hours everyday, and the screen is dim despite putting on the maximal brightness. It was then again time to search for a new PDA.

My brother was then using the iPaq 3800 series, and it was a huge monster to me when I tried holding it in my palm. The m515 form factor was my favourite all the time. So I was thinking whether I should get myself a Palm Tungsten (at that time it just surfaced in the market), but then, my brother had been a very loyal friend to Bill Gates, and so he was persuading me to make a change and try out the PPC instead!

And just in the midst of consideration, the iPaq h2210 came out in the newspaper advertisement! I was so amazed with its sleek look and features... so power packed! Although earlier on the h1910 was there in the market, with such a tiny form factor, I was a bit hesistant to go for it, because of its lack of bluetooth and only 200MHz clock speed.

So I rushed to Low Yat and added another bill to my credit card debt load. RM1688. That was indeed a very prosperous number! ;) Came home, charged it overnight, and the next morning I was the first to wake up and before even brushing my teeth and changing my pyjamas, I was already hooked to the new gadget...

"Wow"... was the first impression when I looked at the screen. Although it was the same resolution (QVGA) as compared to my brother's 3800 series, the saturation and brightness of the 2210 screen was somehow better!! You really need to see it yourself to belief it!

After installing the activesync into my laptop, and do some necessary changes in the PPC. Whoalah... that was my new Pocket PC!! User friendly I must say, compared to the Palm m515. Everything is jsut so similar to the Windows environment, and nothing much new to learn. The only thing I must say is that the Grafitti I learned from the Palm era, was very much helpful in my PPC as well, when comes to input method. I still prefer the Grafitti method to the keyboard.

No comments: