Friday, June 22, 2007

Horrifying Truth (Part 4 - conclusion)

And so the night before meeting up with Dr Mazlan, I was really depressed and in the state of shock, that I needed to pay back the govt the whole lump sum of money which I was apparently paid over these years! Just calculate and u will know how much the total amount is!

As I was thinking and thinking... I was staring at the computer screen hoping for some clue. Then a bell rang, I fired up FireFox and went into Google to try my luck -- I typed in the doctor's name (which was on the letter I saw that morning), and then hit the enter key.

Holy gracious! There was a doctor by that name, and best of all, his handphone number was also on the search page! Thanks Google! Immediately I called up the doctor and explained to him what had happened -- just sheer unbelievable but he was also very stunned to hear such thing could happen! But anyway, long story short, I felt such a relief that the whole situation was slowly shedding some light at the other end of the tunnel.

The next morning, first thing at 8am, I called up the SB and the officer in charge to explained to them I have found the error which had possibly been unintentional. They were puzzled to hear that as well, and they promised to call me back in a moment after they check with KKM and JPA side.

Moments later, I got a phone call from the officer from KKM human resources, stating that everything seemed to be under control, and let KKM settle this whole mess. They advised me to return to Sibu to resume work, meanwhile they will issue letters to all respective depts to clarify this whole problem.

With this, after being a detective myself for 2 long weeks, I finally found out that it was afterall an unintentional (or was it intentional?) error. At least now that I have resumed my position as a medical officer under KKM. What a narrow escape.

I received an apology letter one week later from KKM.

Lessons I learned from this horrifying incident:

1. Do complete your 3 year compulsory govt service before resigning to Master program, otherwise u will be in deep shit later on.

2. Never trust what the govt sector officers tell u over the phone, u still have to be a good detective urself to find out the truth.

3. It's still hold true in Malaysia, as the saying goes,"It's not what you know, it's who you know."

No comments: