Monday, June 19, 2006

JPA Scholarship

Read this post in China Press today, about a Chinese boy who didn't get any scholarship despite having 16A's in SPM. So after appeal made to JPA, he was finally given a scholarship to study medicine, not in UK or Ireland, but in Czechoslovakia. I know Czech is a country with some of the finest medical schools in the world, and I believe a good doctor is produced not because he or she comes from a prestigious med school, but the personality and character of that person as a whole. However, in this issue, I just feel that this boy deserves a better treatment from our JPA. There are lots of other people with less than 16A's are sent directly to the well-known UK or Irish medical schools. But this poor guy will be sent to Czech, probably need to learn a whole new language, just to survive there.

He has 16A's man... not just 8As or 10As! When I got 8As in SPM back in my days, I already thought I was very good. Looking at those achievers nowadays, 10-15As on average... my goodness, I really salute them from the bottom of my heart! So why is JPA doing this to this poor guy? Why can't he deserve a better scholarship to pursue medical degree in USA/UK/Ireland, just like others? I know that could be expensive, compared to going to Czech. But at least let him enter a twinning program like those in PMC or IMU, where he will later have a chance to be in the USA/Ireland/UK? Double Standard, 'nuff said.

No comments: