Saturday, June 17, 2006

IT technician

Of late, my colleagues have been taking for granted, that I'm the gadget-man around whenever needed.

When they need to take pictures of either X-rays, CT films or clinical signs of the patients, they will look for me, as I carry with me an iXus 40 digicam everyday.

When they need to look up detailed information about complicated topics like Multiple Endocrine Neoplasia, during the departmental CME, they will all stare at me, while I flip out my x50v to search through Nelson Pediatrics!

During ward rounds, when my consultants forget about the exact dosages for ciprofloxacin or aciclovir -- they turn to me, and say,"Can you look up in your little computer for the dosages?" In fact I am just using the Frank Shann DrugDoses!

When they need to use the calculator while discussing about a patient by the corridor, no one has one in the pocket (coz the calculators are in the wards) -- they turn to me and ask if I could calculate for them the body surface area of that patient, again using my little computer!

When the projector is not projecting the images from the laptop PowerPoint, they turn to me and ask for my help "Err...how come no image ah? Need to press what button on this laptop?" is the usual routine question asked, to indirectly request me to help them get the images projected on the wall! ;)

So once I joked with my boss, "Besides on call claim, can I also claim extra for the IT services I provide for the department?"

No comments: