Sunday, January 13, 2008

My Ol' Faithful Axim


Recently I flashed my ol' Dell Axim x50v with the unofficial A03 WM6 ROM (courtesy of XDA developers), and revived the "brick" into a whole-new gadget!

With the new ROM, I have so far been very satisfied with the speed improvement and attractive GUI - more so with the VGA display of the x50v. The only worry initially was whether the Thinkoutside Bluetooth keyboard driver was compatible with the WM6 ROM - but luckily after installing the driver, the bluetooth keyboard works like a charm - so much so it is better and more stable than during the WM2003SE era! But you must remember to turn off the built-in HID option.

I even tried out the RealVGA for WM6 - although the display is greatly enhanced, especially during surfing net with PIE (or Opera 8.65), the speed is tremendously slowed down. I did a hard reset because I was unable to tweak the setting back to the original one.

The Treo 680 is indeed a great PDA phone, and when we compliment it with the x50v (WM6) - they are the best companions a gadget-freak-doctor can have! ;)

1 comment:

Palmdoc said...

I also flashed my Dell Axim x50v to teh A02. I didn't flash to teh latest beta since Maglite seems to have abandoned the project. Yes it breathes new life into the PDA.
My Dell is now basically an ebook reader :)