Sunday, November 11, 2007

My new XPS

I just received my newly bought Dell XPS laptop 2 days ago. Initially I was contemplating to get a eeePC which is the most "in" gadget lately, but after thinking twice, I went for a proper laptop. I think when I have more time in the future, I will get a eeePC to explore further. But for now, I need a laptop to do work, and my wife can use this portable laptop to do her assignments in college as well.

Vista is something very new to me. And also there are quite limited softwares which support the system OS. The microsoft office 2007 is very expensive, and hence I have opted for the OpenOffice suite -- after trying out for 2 days, I can conclude that for normal usage, the open office is more than adequate!

Since my laptop is preinstalled with McAfee internet suite, I dont need to get any firewall and antivirus for it -- but should the subscription period ends, I will go for PCTools as my firewall suite, and possibly AVG antivirus as well.

Then I have also loaded it with FireFox browser, Adobe PDF reader, GTalk and also Media Player.

Whether you have realised by now, I have only freewares in my new lappy.

So far so good.

As for the Dell XPS system, it is a fabulous and eye-catching near-ultraportable laptop. It is just so sleek and sexy. Vista has added very nice GUI to the system as a whole. And with my 2Ghz processor, and 2GB ram -- it is so far stable and speedy.

The screen is just gorgeous. You need to really play with it to appreciate it. Keyboard is nice and almost full sized, with very positive tactile feel when doing typing. Touchpad and both its buttons are very positive as well.

All in all, this laptop is just fantastic. I have read so many reviews about this XPS system, and finally I have got one in my hand. And again, I am updating my blog with this new lappy in my couch, with a cuppa coffee next to me!

I will rate this XPS 4.5/5 stars! :)

No comments: