Thursday, April 12, 2007

Upgrade To WM5

Few days ago, I tried to upgrade my Dell Axim x50v from WM2003SE to WM2005 ROM, and after a heart-pounding 30minutes, my x50v had turned into x51v-like pocket pc!

However, after installing all the necessary softwares which I use everyday, I fired up a few programs, like Spb Finance, Resco Pic Viewer and Pocket Informant; to my disappointment, my PPC now crawled like turtle speed, or probably should I say, snail speed! Can you imagine after clicking on the Resco Pic Viewer icon, it took me 10-12 seconds before I am in the program. That's just way too slow, and totally unacceptable.

After googling around for solution, I am surprised to see that I am not alone; many people have also experienced the similar problem -- slowing down of performance. Looks like the x50v is not meant for WM5 afterall!

And so I decided to revert it back to WM2003SE ROM, which could be downloaded from the Dell Support website. But the disaster came -- I could not flash my ROM properly back into my x50v!! And my PPC hanged after the ROM flashing completed!! True disaster!

Now my itchy hands have caused me a bomb... I was really thinking of immediately purchasing a new x51v, as the PIKOM offer is still on (RM1218 inclusive of delivery), and my x50v warranty was no longer valid. After calling Dell, the support team gave me a very good suggestion -- ie. to renew my x50v warranty, which will only cost RM100; and immediately they can do a one-to-one exchange for me, and I shall get a new x50v!! ;)

Now, I am still waiting for the Dell Warranty Dept to give me a ring, in order to proceed with my renewal of my PPC warranty.

Lesson of the day: When it ain't broken, don't fix it!

2 comments:

sbanboy said...

Hey what happened to your HP 6828 ?

sbanboy said...

Erm I bought a 2nd hand HP6828 and now I do everything with it ... saving up for a GPS BT unit ... hehe