Sunday, November 05, 2006

Do We Really Need GPS?

I bought a GPS receiver not long ago, and was frantically using it whenever I went driving around town, especially when I was back in KL. Recently, I have stopped using it, partly because I am in Sibu (oh c'mon you don't really need one to navigate around... nobody gets lost here in Sibu!), and also partly due to the fact that my PDA recently gives me a real headache... crashes too often!

I happen to read this article in PC Magazine, entitled "Overrated GPS Annoys Dvorak". Very interesting, and I find it particularly hilarious in this paragraph...

One of the most annoying aspects of the GPS in-car system is the vocal directions. "Keep going straight" is one of my favorite commands. It's telling me to do what I'm already doing? Why? Surely it knows that I am going straight, doesn't it?

The voice itself needs to be changed. I think this is a wonderful opportunity for third-party vendors. For example, a bickering old lady would make a great voice for the thing. "Hey, don't you think you're going a little fast, sonny?" Or the voice of an out-and-out shrew. "Slow down, you idiot, there's a left turn coming up!" "Turn left now, you moron!"

Actually this is really true, you know... after a while, I get sick of that female voice, keeps on asking me to turn right, when there is no road but only a drain! Gosh!

Having said that, I must admit that the maps contributed by a bunch of enthusiasts at Malsingmaps.com are really good and afterall it's free! I have tried Navitech as well, but found that the Garmin-Malsingmaps combination is still the best for me!

Well, I don't use the GPS for now. But probably when I go back to KL someday, I need it again!

No comments: