Tuesday, September 04, 2007

My New Toy -- Palm Treo 680


After contemplating for a long time, I finally give up my existing iPaq 6828 and go for a Palm Treo 680. I am quite sick of the lag and hang of the WM phone. Taking advantage of the recent offer, organized by Palmdoc, I received my Treo 680 today -- delivered by C2O rep (Desmond) to my doorstep.

The first impression I get when I open up the box is -- Treo is beautiful. When I turned on the unit, the screen is gorgeous. Even better than my Palm TX's screen, I dare say. And immediately I try out the camera (coz the iPaq phone camera is driving me nuts -- crazily slow!) -- not bad at all! Of coz I am not expecting a 3.2MP camera picture quality, but I must admit, in normal lighting, the pics taken are very decent and nice!

The only problem I need to overcome now, is the small QWERTY keyboard, which I need some time to get use to. I am so far a stylus-person, and not so use to keyboards -- whatsmore such tiny keys! My thumbs are big.

My wife saw the Treo 680 and she immediately gave me that smile on her face -- must be trying to tell me "can I have one too?" -- and so I told her,"If you like it, you can have it, and I will take your TX." But she said I will get to use it first, and if I dont like it, then she will not hesitate to have it! ;)

Charging the unit now, and for the next 8 hours, I will be eagerly browsing through the internet, to look for any Palm softwares for my Treo -- my new toy!

9 comments:

Palmdoc said...

Some cool tips:
press and hold the "Home" button and the last ten apps are displayed enabling quick switching
Press the green call button while in the Phone app and the last 10 calls are displayed
Don't forget you can customise your buttons with the Opt + har button keys giving you more shortcuts to your apps.
Miss shortcut graffiti stroke on the Treo? You can use the freeware Shortcut5 application
The keyboard and Dpas\d navigation is a God send. Much better and much faster than using a stylus any day and you'll get to appreciate it as you use it more and more.

spinosum said...

Less than 24 hours of usage -- I am pretty amazed with this little gadget! The most important difference compared to the WM device is -- NO LAG!! I hate that rainbow colored round thingy rotating in the middle of my screen -- now its not there anymore, and every click will swiftly take me to the next task or program! ;)

Calvin Foo said...

i think for serious typing, you would require a full size keyboard, maybe those bluetooth enabled keyboard for pda could be useful

Palmdoc said...

That's what I love about PalmOS - task switching is simply much more efficient compared to the overrated "multi-tasking" of WM.
As doctors, you simply want to look up things like drugs quickly and without delay. Yes, we're an impatient lot :)

spinosum said...

@Calvin: I do have a Thinkoutside BT KB, but sadly there isnt any driver to support Treo680 at the moment. But usually if I wanna type long, I choose to use my laptop; the Treo is only for my daily SMS or ward work! :)

@Palmdoc: Yes, I really agee with you fully -- even my brother (who is using the iPaq 6828) is contemplating to get a Treo too, after trying out my new toy! ;P

sbanboy said...

Hmmm another one had jumped over to the Treo 680

Hmm should I ??? Hehe

Well congrats on ur new toy. You will soon get used to the tiny keyboard and u will realize " Man how did I live without a keyboard all these while !!!! "

That is why I still kinda miss my Treo 650.

Well I have learned to live with my RW6828 and I use GPS alot so I am kinda stuck with it for now ... maybe next year when my Ipaq dies on me...hopefully there will be another deal that time ..hehe

spinosum said...

@sbanboy: I am sick of the lags in my ipaq... at times, it just needs so frequent soft reset, and it's become faster to open up the book than to look into my PDA! Defeat the purpose!

Anyway, u r right -- the keyboard is tiny but so useful! And also since i have the Nuvi200, i dont need a PDA to pair with my old GPSlim! ;)

sbanboy said...

Well .... I guess I am jumping back to Treo ...will be getting my Treo 680 this evening from Desmond .... and YES !!! I get an extra Bluetooth headset ...hehe

Will use my Ipaq solely as a GPS.

Anonymous said...

Palm Treo 680